Saturday, January 30, 2010: Two More Shows Left at Silk Road Cafe

Dear Friends,


The Five Points Variety Hour (or "Teabag" for our old-timers) has called the Silk Road Cafe home for nearly 6 1/2 years. It's been a wonderful run and I can't even begin to express how grateful I am to Silk Road's owner, Martin Choy, for allowing my team and I virtual free reign of his venue for all these years. Without his support, guidance and passion, there would have never been a Five Points Variety Hour, Teabag Open Mic or any of its various permutations. Mr. Choy, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.


As someone who doesn't subscribe to any spiritual philosophies whatsoever, I believe all things are finite: they begin, spin around for a bit, and then come to their inevitable conclusion. All you can really do is take a few photos along the way and hope the experience wasn't a complete waste of your time.

With that said, it's with great regret that I announce our final two shows at the Silk Road Cafe, which are scheduled for February 5 and 12 at 8PM.


It's been an amazing ride with significantly more ups than downs. Some of those ups include coverage in the New York Times, MTV, National Public Radio and the chance to meet so many incredible people from all over the world. And the downs? Hmm... The only gremlins that even remotely spring to mind were a few pathetic boycott attempts lead by a couple of humorless, anal retentive fascists -- you know who you are.


Anyway, my staff and I are hoping to continue The Five Points Variety Hour at a new location. We're currently in talks with several venues but, unfortunately, we can't guarantee any of these working out. Either way, we will post up an announcement regarding the show's fate within the next two weeks on this site.


Until then, you know where to find us.


Best,


Telly Wong
Founder / Executive Producer
The Five Points Variety Hour

No comments:

Post a Comment